Total Time: 25
Yield: 6-8 servings
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the Single Crust Pastry Dough:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 9 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3—4 tablespoons ice water
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt until well combined.
Sprinkle butter over f lour mixture, and use your fingers to work it in (rub your thumb against your fingertips, smearing the butter as you do). Stop when the mixture looks like cornmeal, with some pea-size bits of butter remaining.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water on top, and stir with a fork until dough begins to come together. If needed, add another tablespoon ice water.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead three times, or just enough to make a cohesive dough–don’t overmix!
Gather into a ball; then press into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
For the Quiche:
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon (about 3 slices)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin-pie filling), such as One-Pie brand
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375° and set a rack to the middle position. In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp, about 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels; then crumble into in baked pie shell.
In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add cream, pumpkin purée, salt, spices, and cheese, and whisk just until blended. Pour mixture into crust, leaving about a quarter inch headroom. (Bake any leftover custard separately in a buttered ramekin.)
Bake until custard is set and puffed, 30–35 minutes. Serve warm.