Pumpkin Streusel Bars
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 20
- 1-1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs (from about 13 crackers)
- 3/4 cup ground pecans (from about 1/2 cup chopped pecans)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
Preheat your oven to 350° and set a rack in the middle position. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with butter.
First, make the crust: In a medium-size bowl, combine graham-cracker crumbs, ground pecans, and cinnamon. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture and set aside (you'll use it later in the topping). Add melted butter to bowl and stir with a fork to combine. Press evenly into bottom of pan and bake until lightly toasted, 10-12 minutes.
While crust is baking, make the filling: Whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, half-and-half, egg, spice, vanilla, and salt. Pour pumpkin mixture over hot crust and return the pan to the oven for 20 minutes.
Now make the topping: In a small bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, melted butter, and reserved crumb mixture. Once bars have baked 20 minutes, generously sprinkle streusel topping over pumpkin mixture and return to the oven for 20 minutes longer.
Let bars cool 15 minutes; then slice into 9 portions and serve, either plain or topped with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.