Radishes in Cream
Yield: Serves 4
Brilliant red radishes are lightly cooked in a white cream sauce. Serve this sophisticated dish with roast veal.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound red radishes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Generous pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup medium or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Instructions:1. Rinse and trim the radishes and place them in a wide saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the salt and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until the radishes are crisp-tender. Drain in a colander, but reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and cayenne and stir over medium heat until the mixture foams. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream. Return to the heat and blend in the reserved cooking liquid. Increase the heat and stir continuously until the sauce is thickened.
3. Blend in the chervil. Add the radishes and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and serve.