Rapini with Shrimp and Pasta
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 pound rapini
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound rotelle, boiled and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:1. Rinse the rapini and pat dry. Cut the heads, tender stems, and leaves from the center stalk. Cut large leaves in two and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1/2-inch lengths.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the rapini stems, stalks, and heads and toss to coat. Pour in the water. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until the stalks are crisp-tender. Add the rapini leaves and stir briefly until they are wilted. Transfer the contents to a plate.
3. Add the olive oil and butter to the skillet and heat until the butter is melted. Stir in the shallot and garlic and cook over medium heat until the shallot is tender. Add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Stir in the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes or just until the shrimp curls and turns pink.
4. Add the drained rotelle and stir over medium heat to warm through. Season with salt and pepper. Add the rapini and stir briefly to heat, but do not overcook or the rapini will lose its vivid green color. Serve immediately.