Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This vegetable stew makes frequent appearances on Tracie's table every summer. "When you have a lot of vegetables," she says, "making this stew is a good way to use them." To round out the meal, she serves her ratatouille with pasta or cornbread.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 small eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, plus more to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-size onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red or green bell peppers, seeds and stems removed, thinly sliced
- 4 medium-size tomatoes, diced
- 4 small zucchini or summer squash, halved lengthwise, then sliced into half-moons
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Instructions:In a colander, toss eggplant with salt. Let sit 30 minutes; then rinse well and dry thoroughly.
Heat oil in a large (14-inch) frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, eggplants, garlic, and peppers; cook, stirring often, until softened, 8-10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid evaporates. Add zucchini (or squash) and cook until tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in basil, parsley, and oregano; then taste and add more salt if you like.