Real Cream of Mushroom Soup
Total Time: 35
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream, at room temperature
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Instructions:Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour and cook, stirring, until glossy, about 3 minutes. Slowly drizzle in chicken broth and milk (or half-and-half), whisking as you go. Increase heat to a simmer and cook until mixture thickens, whisking often, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in the reserved mushroom mixture, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add the sour cream.
Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.