Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 30
This rhubarb coffee cake works equally well when served for breakfast, a snack, or dessert (or all three in one day). Rhubarb provides a subtle tartness, while the topping provides a great sweetness and crunchiness.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pan
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy, 4—6 minutes. Beat egg in.
Add a third of the flour mixture and stir gently. Add half the sour cream and stir. Repeat with flour mixture, remaining sour cream, and remaining flour mixture. Stir in vanilla and rhubarb and spread batter into prepared pan.
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and melted butter; sprinkle over the top of the cake. Bake 40—50 minutes.