Yield: Makes 2 pints
Chinese five-spice powder lends a seductive flavor to this rhubarb and orange relish. Serve warm or at room temperature with roast pork or turkey.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 oranges
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1. Squeeze the juice from the oranges and set aside. Remove the zest from the oranges with a swivel-blade peeler and cut into julienne strips.
2. In a wide saucepan, combine the orange juice, orange zest, rhubarb, sugar, five-spice powder, and raisins. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat and cook slowly for 30 to 45 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Stir in the almonds and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and refrigerate or freeze in airtight plastic containers.