Roasted Chestnut Soup with Wild Mushrooms
Total Time: 35
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups roasted, peeled chestnuts, divided
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 4-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups heavy or light cream
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh (or reconstituted dried) wild mushrooms, such as porcini, black trumpet, or chanterelle
Instructions:Chop chestnuts and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until tender, 8—10 minutes.
Add thyme and stir briefly.
Add chicken stock, heavy cream, and 2-1/2 cups chopped chestnuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then simmer 20—25 minutes.