Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables
Total Time: 30
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 3-pound chicken, naturally raised
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Kosher or sea salt
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 small orange, quartered
- small Macomber or other local white turnip, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4-6 red or yellow beets, peeled and halved if small, quartered if larger
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:Heat oven to 450°.
Rub outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with a few pinches of salt.
Stuff cavity with rosemary and squeeze orange pieces to release juices.
Scatter vegetables in a roasting pan. Toss with remaining oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of vegetables breast side up.
Roast 30 minutes; then lower oven temperature to 350° and cook 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°.
Remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted vegetables and pan juices.