Roasted Natural Chicken with Roots
Total Time: 30
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 3-pound naturally raised chicken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 small juicing orange, quartered
- 1 small Macomber or local white turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 6 red or yellow beets, peeled and halved if small, quartered if larger
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions:Heat oven to 450°. Rub outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon oil, then season with a few pinches of salt.
Stuff cavity with rosemary and orange, squeezing orange pieces to release juices. Scatter vegetables in a roasting pan, then toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of vegetables and cook breast side up.
After about 30 minutes, lower oven temperature to 350° and cook 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°. Remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted vegetables and juices from the pan.