Roasted Turkey Breast Stuffed with Herbs
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Courtesy of Crockery Favorites:
Traditional American Recipes
by Frances Towner Giedt
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 4 to 5 lb boneless turkey breast -- with skin
- OR 2 1/2 lb boneless turkey breast for 3 1/2 qt cooker
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley -- chopped
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves OR 1 tsp dried, crumbled
- 1 tbs grated lemon rind
- 2 tart apples -- peeled, cored, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 medium leeks (white part & 1-inch pale green),
- rinsed, sliced thinly (4 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbs butter -- room temperature
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
Instructions:Rinse turkey breast and pat dry. Lightly pound breast
and, with your fingers, separate skin from breast meat.
Combine parsley, thyme, and lemon rind. Rub turkey inside
and under the skin with the herb mixture; replace skin
and tie in place with kitchen twine.
Arrange apples and leeks in bottom of 5-quart or larger
slow cooker (for a smaller slow cooker, use a 2 to 2 1/2
pound turkey breast). Top with turkey breast, skin side
up. Drizzle lemon juice over turkey breast. Cover and
cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4
hours, until tender.
Transfer breast to a serving platter and keep warm.
(Brown for 5 minutes under a preheated broiler for
browned skin.) Let turkey breast stand for 10 minutes
Turn setting to high. Whisk broth and wine into the
juices in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the
butter and flour. Whisk into the slow cooker and cook,
uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and
bubbly, about 15 minutes. Cook and stir for another
minute. Pour sauce into a serving dish and spoon over
breast slices. Serves 8.