Rum Raisin Copley Squares
Yield: 24 squares
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons light molasses
- 4 teaspoons light rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Instructions:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the egg, molasses, 3 teaspoons of the rum, and the vanilla. Beat until blended.
Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the batter and beat again. Stir in the raisins and the chocolate chips.
Grease an 8-inch square baking dish and dust with the bread crumbs. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the top feels firm to the touch and the cake begins to shrink form the sides of the pan.
Mix the confectioners' sugar with the remaining 1 teaspoon rum and dribble over the warm cake. Cool the cake in the pan and cut into 24 bars. Store in an airtight tin. These squares freeze well.