Ruth Feeney's Blackberry Jelly
Yield: 4 pints
- 2 cups water (approximately)
- 3 quarts freshly picked, cultivated blackberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (1.75 ounces) powdered pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Pour about 2 cups water into a large stock- or soup pot. Add berries and crush them with a potato masher. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
Now layer a sieve with cheesecloth, hold over a bowl, add berry mixture, and let the juice drain into the bowl. (Make sure no seeds get through.) This should yield about 3 1/2 cups of juice. (If you need more liquid, add apple juice or water.)
Pour blackberry juice back into the pot. Add lemon juice and pectin and bring to a boil. Add sugar and boil 1 minute. Add butter.
Pour mixture into 4 pint jars. Pour a half-inch layer of paraffin over the top of each jar and seal them.