Ruth O'Donnell's Portuguese Kale Soup
Total Time: 20
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium-size onions, chopped
- 1 pound linguiça, sliced, slices halved
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh kale, washed, stems discarded, shredded into small pieces
- 1 can Campbell's "Bean with Bacon" soup plus 1 can water (or substitute 1 can white beans plus 2 cups chicken broth)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed (russets or your preference)
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil and cook garlic, onions, and linguiça slices until onions are soft. Add 4 cups chicken broth and kale. Cover, and let kale cook down, stirring occasionally.
Add bean soup and water (or substitute beans and broth); simmer about 5 minutes. (Add more water if the mixture's not dilute enough.) Add cubed potatoes. Simmer, covered, 20-30 minutes longer, till potatoes are soft.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread.