Salad of Goat Cheese, Beet, Fennel, and Citrus Vinaigrette
Total Time: 45
Yield: 4 servings; dressing: 1-1/3 cups
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into strips
- 2 oranges plus 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar (if not available, substitute regular balsamic vinegar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled,divided into 4 equal portions
Instructions:Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash beet well, then wrap in foil and roast in oven 1 hour, or until easily pierced with knife. Cool, then wrap in paper towel and rub to remove skin. Quarter beet and slice each quarter into 8 thin slices from the root end to the stem end; set aside. Quarter fennel bulb; remove core. Slice each quarter very thinly and set aside. Using a sharp knife, completely remove the skin of the 2 oranges and cut into segments over a bowl, reserving any juice.
For the vinaigrette: Place grated citrus zests in a bowl with mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and 1⁄4 cup reserved orange juice. Whisk, incorporating oil slowly. Check seasoning and adjust as desired.
To assemble the salad: Mix greens together with orange segments, beets, and fennel; toss with 1⁄2 cup vinaigrette. Taste and add more vinaigrette as desired. Divide salad mixture evenly among 4 plates. Top with goat cheese and serve.