Sauteed Chayote with Parmesan Cheese
Yield: Serves 4
- 3 small chayotes (about 6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Instructions:1. Drop the chayotes into a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook, uncovered, at a gentle bubble for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced. Lift out with a slotted spoon and submerge in cold water.
2. When the chayotes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the peel. Remove the seeds and any whitish membrane. Cut each chayote half into small chunks.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the chayote, tossing to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and parsley. Stir over medium heat until warmed through and serve at once.