Sautéed Fiddlehead Ferns
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 30
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound fiddlehead ferns, well-rinsed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or fresh rosemary, basil, or oregano)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Blanch fiddleheads 4 minutes; remove to ice water for 1 minute. Strain from water and dry well.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil and cook shallots and garlic until shallots are translucent. Add fiddleheads and sauté 2 minutes. Add wine and reduce until about 1 tablespoon of liquid remains. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and season generously with salt and pepper. Add herbs and butter and stir well.