Total Time: 40
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (approximately)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, divided
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a saucepan over low heat, combine cream, stock, thyme, garlic, and nutmeg. Simmer about 5 minutes; then let cool about 10 minutes. Strain and discard garlic and thyme.
Butter a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Place a layer of potatoes in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Pour a third of the cream over potatoes. Top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat for two more layers.
Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place under broiler until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.