Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups chopped or diced tomatoes
- 3 to 4 slices of toasted bread
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Instructions:Cook celery and onion in butter until just tender; blend in flour. Butter toast; cut in 1/2-inch cubes.
In a 1-1/2-quart casserole, combine the onion-celery mixture with tomatoes, half the toast cubes, the sugar, and the seasonings. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Top casserole with remaining toast cubes and bake for 20 minutes longer.