Total Time: -5
Yield: 6 eggs
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound sausage meat, either removed from individual link casings or bulk
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying
Instructions:Par-cook 6 eggs: Place in a small pot, cover with water, and set over high heat. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat, keep covered, and let eggs sit for 7 minutes. Transfer to an ice-water bath to cool. Peel, then set aside.
Beat the 2 remaining uncooked eggs in a small bowl.
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper together on a piece of wax paper. Divide the sausage meat into 6 equal parts, then press the sausage down into thin patties. Dip each of the 6 cooked eggs in the beaten eggs, roll in the flour mixture, and wrap with sausage, pressing firmly to adhere. You'll use roughly half the beaten eggs for this step.
Combine the panko and grated cheese on a plate.
Brush the remaining beaten egg equally over the sausage-coated eggs and then roll each egg in the panko/cheese mixture.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep fry pan to about 375°. Deep-fry the eggs in the oil until golden brown, turning the eggs so they cook evenly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve.