Shirred Eggs & Bacon with Peppers & Onions
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 30 minutes
Hands On Time: 15 minutes
Taking simple shirred eggs to the next level, our version calls for crisp bacon and a sprinkle of onions, peppers, and Parmesan for added texture and flavor. Feel free to substitute ham for the bacon or another filling for the pepper and onion to suit your taste. Garnish with fresh, seasonal herbs or snipped chives for a lovely brunch presentation.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- Vegetable oil (for baking sheet and muffin cups)
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 heaping tablespoon diced bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon diced onion
- 6 medium-size eggs, divided
- 6 teaspoons heavy cream, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh herbs or 2 sprigs fresh chive, or grated Parmesan and a pinch kosher or sea salt
Instructions:Preheat your oven to 400° and set a rack to the middle position. Arrange the bacon strips on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet and cook until lightly browned but not crisped, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 325°.
Lightly grease 6 muffin cups (or 6 7-ounce ramekins arranged on a baking sheet), and line the sides and bottom of each with 2 bacon strips. Combine the diced pepper and onion in a small bowl, and spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture into the bottom of each cup, followed by 1 cracked egg. Add 1 teaspoon of cream, ½ teaspoon of Parmesan, and black pepper to taste.
Bake until the egg whites are opaque, 12 to 15 minutes (see “Note” ). Serve in their ramekins, or use a spoon to transfer them to a small serving dish. Garnish with herbs or chive, or a bit of grated Parmesan and a pinch of salt, and serve warm.