Shirred Eggs & Bacon with Peppers & Onions
Total Time: 30 minutes
Hands On Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Vegetable oil (for baking sheet and muffin cups)
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 heaping tablespoon diced bell pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon diced onion
- 6 medium-size eggs, divided
- 6 teaspoons heavy cream, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: fresh herbs or 2 sprigs fresh chive, or grated Parmesan and a pinch kosher or sea salt
Instructions:Preheat your oven to 400° and set a rack to the middle position. Arrange the bacon strips on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet and cook until lightly browned but not crisped, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 325°.
Lightly grease 6 muffin cups (or 6 7-ounce ramekins arranged on a baking sheet), and line the sides and bottom of each with 2 bacon strips. Combine the diced pepper and onion in a small bowl, and spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture into the bottom of each cup, followed by 1 cracked egg. Add 1 teaspoon of cream, ½ teaspoon of Parmesan, and black pepper to taste.
Bake until the egg whites are opaque, 12 to 15 minutes (see “Note” ). Serve in their ramekins, or use a spoon to transfer them to a small serving dish. Garnish with herbs or chive, or a bit of grated Parmesan and a pinch of salt, and serve warm.