3. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix.
4. Add the butter and cut into the flour with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. Add the cream and stir to mix until the dough starts to come together. Do not overwork the dough or the shortcakes will be tough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press together in a flat, round shape.
7. Roll the dough to a thickness of ½ to ¾ inch. Cut six 3-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Place on a baking rack to cool. These can be made several hours in advance.
8. After the shortcakes have cooled, slice each one through the center (like a sandwich) to make 12 halves. For each shortcake, place the bottom half of 1 shortcake cut side up on a plate. Place a large spoonful of the strawberry mixture on top, add a spoonful of whipped cream, and add the top half of the shortcake. Top this with another spoonful of fresh berries, some whipped cream, and a few more berries. Serve immediately.
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.