- Cook’s Note: Some supermarkets sell tomato paste in tubes, which makes it easy to squirt out just as much as you need and refrigerate the rest for future use. If you’re using tomato paste from a can, refrigerate the leftover paste in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- 3 cups Basic Beef, defrosted if frozen, recipe above
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, see Cook’s Note
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
Instructions:1. Place the Basic Beef in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, and set aside, off the heat. Whisk together the water, ketchup, tomato paste, salt and pepper in a medium bowl or glass measure until well combined. Place beef in the skillet over medium heat. Add the ketchup mixture to the skillet and stir until well combined. Cook and stir until the beef is heated through. (This won’t take long if the Basic Beef has just been cooked.)
2. Toast the hamburger buns, if desired. Serve at once by spooning 1/4 of the beef mixture over each bun, open-face style.