Skewered Salad Nicoise
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon (optional)
- 1/2 pound fresh tuna fillet, 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mesclun greens
- 12 green beans, cooked, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 dozen pitted Nicoise (or small Kalamata) olives
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, cooked, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (including yolk and white)
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. While still whisking, add 1/2 cup olive oil in a thin, steady stream. Stir in herbs.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add remaining olive oil. Season tuna on both sides with salt and pepper. Add fish to pan and cook 1 minute per side (it should still be rare in the center). When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss gently with 1/4 cup dressing.
In a medium bowl, toss a handful of mesclun greens with a few tablespoons of dressing--just enough to lightly coat the leaves.
On a skewer, thread 1 piece of tuna, 1 piece of lettuce, 2 green bean pieces, 1 piece of lettuce, 1 olive, 1 potato cube, 1 piece of lettuce, 1 egg wedge, 1 piece of lettuce, and 1 tomato. Repeat with remaining ingredients.