- 1 1/2 pounds Red Bliss potatoes , small or medium, scrubbed and unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Instructions:1. If using small potatoes (1 1/2- to 2-inch diameter), halve each potato. If using medium potatoes (2- to 3-inch diameter), quarter each potato to create 3/4- to 1-inch chunks. Rinse potatoes in cold water and drain well; spread on clean kitchen towel and thoroughly pat dry.
2. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes cut side down in single layer; cook, without stirring, until golden brown (oil should sizzle but not smoke), 5 to 7 minutes. Using tongs, turn potatoes skin side down if using halved small potatoes or second cut side down if using quartered medium potatoes; cook, without stirring, until deep golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes longer. Stir potatoes, then redistribute in single layer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender (paring knife can be inserted into potatoes with no resistance), 6 to 9 minutes.
3. When potatoes are tender, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss or stir gently to combine; serve immediately