Snowvillage Inn's Caramel Apple Cookies
Yield: Makes 12-18 cookies
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1-1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup apple juice, divided in half
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apples, peeled and shredded
Instructions:Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease baking sheet(s). In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and brown sugar until blended; beat in egg and 1/4 cup apple juice. In another mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup apple juice and the apples. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
For the Caramel Frosting:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons finely crushed walnuts
Instructions:Heat margarine, brown sugar, and water over medium high heat in saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; beat in powdered sugar and enough milk to make spreadable consistency. Use immediately. If frosting begins to harden, return to low heat and stir in more milk.
Spread frosting on each cookie and sprinkle with crushed walnuts.