Yield: Serves 4
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 pounds collards, stems and center ribs removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Instructions:1. Melt the bacon fat in a large pot. Add the onions and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the onions are tender. Pour in the water. Add the ham and simmer covered, for 30 minutes.
2. Bring the broth to a boil and add the collards pushing them under the liquid as they wilt. Partially cover the pot and cook at a gentle bubble for about 1 hour or until tender.
3. Uncover the pot and cook, stirring, until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with vinegar and serve while hot.