Spa Bran Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1-1/4 cups miller's bran or All-Bran cereal
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses (if available)
- 1/4 cup safflower oil (or other lightly flavored vegetable oil)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a small bowl pour boiling water over half of the bran and all of the raisins; let stand until cool. In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining bran, sugar, light and blackstrap molasses, oil, egg, and buttermilk until well blended. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into the bran-molasses mixture. Stir in the cooled bran-raisin mixture. Place in a container; cover and refrigerate at least overnight or up to a week.
At baking time preheat the oven to 375° F. Fill paper-lined muffin tins with the batter (bake as many as you will need; return remaining batter to the refrigerator). Bake until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed with a fingertip, about 20 minutes.