Spaghetti Squash Moussaka
Yield: Serves 8
Cooked spaghetti squash layered with meat sauce and assertively flavored Kasseri cheese creates a hearty casserole.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces Kasseri cheese, grated
- 6 ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Instructions:1. Preheat the oven to 350° and generously butter a 9x 13-inch baking dish. Prick the upper portion of the squash shell in several places with a metal skewer to allow steam to escape. Set the squash directly on the oven rack, steam vents up. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until tender. Blend in the beef, lamb, and garlic and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off the fat. Add the tomatoes oregano, basil, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3. When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut it in half across its width. Scoop out the seeds and fibrous tissue. Using a fork, pull the strands of squash from the cavity. Arrange half the squash in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon half the meat mixture over the squash. Sprinkle on half the grated Kasseri cheese and half the Parmesan cheese. Layer on the remaining squash, then add the rest of the meat mixture, spreading it evenly over the squash. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.