Spaghetti with Beets, Walnuts, and Goat Cheese
Total Time: 15
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound spaghetti (or your favorite pasta shape)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 pounds beets, peeled and grated
- 10 ounces soft goat cheese (about 1-1/3 cups), crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
Instructions:Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Transfer spaghetti to a large bowl.
In a medium-size saute pan over medium heat, add oil and cook onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beets and cook another 8 minutes, until softened. Add reserved cooking liquid and goat cheese; cook, stirring, until cheese softens into a sauce. Add lemon juice; then add salt and pepper to taste.
Add sauce to spaghetti and toss well. Divide among 6 bowls and top each serving with toasted walnuts.