Spiced Carrot Biscuits With Salted Caramel Butter
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups pureed cooked carrots (about 2 pounds fresh)
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk, divided
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup thick caramel sauce (store-bought or homemade)
Instructions:Preheat the oven to 425*F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Cut in the cold butter with a fork or pastry tool until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the carrots and 2/3 cup of buttermilk and stir just until combined.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the dough with the raisins. Knead 10 times. Roll the dough to approximately a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch round cutter, press out biscuits, rerolling the dough as necessary.
Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush the tops with the remaining buttermilk. Set aside.
In a bowl, beat together the softened butter, caramel sauce, and remaining salt until combined. Serve with the biscuits.