Spicy Pumpkin-and-Potato Soup
Try a fresh take on a classic pumpkin starter with this recipe for Spicy Pumpkin-and-Potato Soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream, heated fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onion, garlic, potatoes, chili powder, and cumin. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the broth and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Process the soup in a blender, along with the cilantro and jalapeno. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, half-and-half, and the rest of the oil, mixing until well combined. Ladle the potato soup into 6 bowls. Swirl the pumpkin mixture into the soup, creating a marbling effect. Garnish and serve.