Spicy Walnut Cookies
Yield: About 7 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 84 walnut halves
Instructions:Adjust rack to lower third of oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with baking parchment. Sift flour with cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter until creamy; gradually add confectioners' sugar, then egg and vanilla, and continue beating until mixture is light. Stir in dry ingredients, incorporating thoroughly.
Using a 1/2-teaspoon measure, drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets and press a walnut half onto each cookie, flattening slightly. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until pale golden on the bottom.