Steamed Mussels with Garlic, Tomatoes & Scallions
Total Time: 40
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 medium-size tomatoes (or 4 plum tomatoes), coarsely chopped (seeds discarded)
- 1 bunch scallions, cut diagonally in 1/4-inch slices, plus extra for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Sliced scallions
Instructions:In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat, add olive oil and sauté garlic until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil; add mussels, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, remove opened mussels to a large bowl. Continue cooking remaining mussels 2 minutes; others may open. Discard unopened mussel shells, reserving broth.
Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and scallions and cook about 30 seconds. Add mussels and toss just to reheat.
Season to taste with salt; sprinkle generously with freshly ground pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley and additional scallion slices. Serve with crusty French rolls.