This is definitely one of my favourites! Serve as either individual desserts or enjoy a slice with a dollop of cream over a coffee with friends. Heres a great entertaining tip; make the individual desserts the night before and heat in the microwave until warm, just before serving.
1 cup dates, cut in halves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup boiling water
2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup
1 cup self-rising flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a bowl, combine dates, baking soda and boiling water, allow to stand for 15 minutes or until the dates have softened and cooled.
3. Mix butter and sugar together, add egg and 1/4 cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup, beating well.
4. Sift the flour and gently fold in with dates.
5. Pour remaining 1/4 cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of a 9-inch round cake tin lined with wax paper. Spoon over the cake batter.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve cut into wedges with extra syrup on the side.
7. Alternatively, put 2 teaspoons Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of 6 greased ramekins, divide the batter evenly between them. Place on a baking tray and bake as above for 25-30 minutes.
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.
We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.