Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 60
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine strawberries, brown sugar, and vinegar, if desired. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture is a coarse meal. Add 1 cup cream, gently stirring until moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball; on a lightly floured surface, gently knead three or four turns, or until dough holds well. Roll out to 1 inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch rounds using a cookie cutter (or highball glass). Gently gather dough and reroll for additional rounds (a third rolling is not recommended, as the dough will become tough). Arrange rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with about 2 tablespoons cream; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
In a medium, chilled mixing bowl, whip remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla extract, and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
Bake dough rounds until pale golden, about 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, split in half horizontally. Place bottoms on serving plates. Portion strawberries onto split cakes and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Replace tops and serve.