Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Unlike the classic borscht, which is a meat-based hearty soup, this chilled version is light in both flavor and texture. Whisking the beet broth and sour cream together produces a beautiful pink hue, making it a lovely addition to a wedding luncheon in June.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 medium beets, peeled and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
Instructions:1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and celery and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the sugar and stir over medium heat until the onions are tender. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the beets, salt, and pepper. Cover the pan and cook at a gentle bubble for 20 minutes or until the beets are tender.
2. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Blend in the lemon juice and cover the bowl. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
3. Just before serving, whisk the sour cream and horseradish in a large bowl to lighten the mixture. Gradually whisk in the chilled borscht. Ladle into glass soup bowls and serve.