Swedish Sand Pastries
Yield: 14 petite tarts or 7 Mini tarts
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick or 1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup roasted salted almonds
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Instructions:1. In a 1-1 1/2-quart pan over medium heat, cook butter until particles on pan bottom and foam that floats on melted butter turn amber-colored and smell toasted (mixture may bubble up), 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor or blender, whirl almonds and sugar to a fine powder (if using a blender, transfer to a bowl). Scrape browned butter into container with nuts and sugar; add egg white, vanilla, almond extract, and flour. Whirl or stir with a fork until blended (dough will be sticky).
3. For petite tarts, use 2 1/2-inch round tart pans (about 3/4 in. deep; 2-tablespoon capacity), lining each with about 1 1/2 tablespoons dough.
For cookie-size tarts, use 3-inch round tart pans (about 1 1/4 in. deep; 5-tablespoon capacity), lining each with about 3 tablespoons dough.
With your fingertips, press dough evenly over bottom and up sides of pans (nonstick or regular), flush with rims. Set slightly apart in a shallow, rimmed pan (10x15 inch).
4. Bake in a 300