Sweet Cinnamon Fritter Fries
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash (about 2 lbs. -- large enough to yield 14 oz. uncooked flesh)
- 1 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original); ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor
- 1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- For Dipping:
- 1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
Instructions:Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Cut it in half widthwise (making it easier to manage), and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife. Cut squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out all the seeds. (Note: for exact nutritionals, measure out and use 14 oz. of squash.)
Next, cut squash into french fry shapes. Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture.
Place cereal breadcrumbs in a large container. Add Splenda, cinnamon and salt, and mix well. In a separate medium-sized dish, combine egg substitute and vanilla extract. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray.
Toss squash pieces in the egg substitute until they are all evenly covered. One by one, coat squash pieces with the breadcrumb mixture (give them a shake first so they are not dripping with egg substitute), and lay them flat on the baking pan.
Place in the oven, and bake for about 10 minutes. Flip fries over, and return to the oven for about 10 more minutes, or until outsides are crispy and squash is tender. (Cooking time will vary depending on how thick your fries are.)
Serve with syrup for dipping. MMMMMMM!!!!!!!
MAKES 3 SERVINGS