Sweet New England Cornbread
Total Time: 35 minutes
Hands On Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
Instructions:Preheat your oven to 425° and grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and milk. Pour over the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined; don’t overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool; then cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.