Sweet Potato Pie
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 recipe pie dough (see related Single-Crust Pie Dough)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 small to medium)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs plus 2 yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon mild molasses (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
Instructions:1. After removing the partially baked pie crust from the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
2. While the crust bakes, prick the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and arrange over several layers of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate and microwave at full power for 5 minutes. Turn each potato over and cook until tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes longer. Remove the potatoes and let stand until cool enough to handle.
3. Slice each potato in half and scrape the flesh out into a large bowl. Mash the butter into the potatoes until just a few small potato lumps remain.
4. Whisk the eggs, yolks, granulated sugar, nutmeg, and salt together in a medium bowl. Stir in the bourbon, molasses (if using), and vanilla, then whisk in the milk. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the mashed sweet potatoes until smooth.
5. Sprinkle the bottom of the hot pie crust with the brown sugar. Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the brown sugar. Bake until the filling is set around the edges but the center wiggles slightly when jiggled, about 45 minutes. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before serving. (The pie can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)