Sweet Tater Soup
- sweet potatoes (about 1 pound each)
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter (I omit this)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons half and half (i sub regular coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash thyme
- 1 cup cashews (split in half...have also sometimes used other nuts like mac's, pecans or almonds)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until they are soft. Cool the potatoes until they can be handled.
2. Peel away the skin, then put the potatoes into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes for 15-20 seconds, but you don't need to mash them until they are entirely smooth.
3. Spoon the mashed sweet potato into a large saucepan over medium/high heat, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
4. When the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes. Cashews should be soft. Serve hot with an attitude.