Taco Soup III
Yield: 4-6 servings
Good for gatherings, soup to go, or on a cold day. Freezes well.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1-1/2-2 cups diced and cubed onions
- 1-1/2-2 cups diced and cubed green bell pepper
- 1-1/2-2 cups of diced and cubed red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3-6 cloves of garlic diced (depending on size and taste)
- 1 hot pepper of choice, or one of the following, dried red peppers, or cayenne pepper to taste.
- 1 10-ounce can tomato puree
- 3-1/2 cups diced tomatoes (28 ounce can of tomatoes can be used).
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans
- 6-8 cups water or broth*
- 1/2 to 1 cup of rice
- 1 lb of fried hamburger, optional, with grease removed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:Use a large soup pan. Began adding the following ingredients: Olive oil or cooking oil, diced and cubed onions, diced and cubed green bell pepper, diced and cubed red bell pepper, diced celery, cloves of garlic, diced, hot pepper of choice, or dried red peppers, or cayenne pepper to taste. Fry until onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
Add vinegar, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, black beans, shredded cabbage, water or broth*, hamburger, salt and pepper. Mix well with large spoon. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn back heat. At this point you may add rice. Simmer for about 1-1-1/2 hours until all vegetables are tender and liquid is reduced by half. Stir occasionally.
Serving suggestions: Place in bowls. Sprinkle your favorite taco cheese over the top of the soup. Serve with broken taco shells or tortilla chips and/or sandwiches.
* For every can of ingredients added, add one can of
water or booth.