Total Time: 60
Yield: 16 to 24 servings, depending on size of slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 to 12 strips thick bacon
- 6 ounces (about 2/3 cup) fromage blanc (can substitute soft cream cheese)
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup)
- mascarpone cheese
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough
- 1 pound Basic Pizza Dough at room temperature (see recipe)
- Cornmeal for dusting peel
Instructions:In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a second large saut
Additional Notes:Special equipment:
Pizza peel (or flat sheet pan) for transferring dough
Pizza stone (if you don’t have a stone, you can bake the tartes on a flat, square sheet pan)
Basic Pastry Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, chilled
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 18 sliced tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
Instructions:Pour the flour into a mound on a countertop. Add salt and sugar; toss well. Work butter into flour with fingertips until it forms pea-sized lumps. Add the water, 2 tablespoons at a time, tossing with your fingers, until dough is crumbly and just starting to come together. You may not need all the water.
Form dough into a mound, then use the heel of your hand to push the dough away from you, flattening out lumps. Repeat. Shape into two equal disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Place one disk of dough on a floured pastry board; roll into a circle 1/8-inch thick. Fold dough gently into quarters and transfer to an ungreased 9-inch tart pan. Unfold and gently push dough into pan. Roll out second disk. Cut small decorative holes in center of dough, then transfer to flour-dusted cookie sheet. Refrigerate until needed.
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes; active time: 25 minutes