Tater Tot Casserole - gussied up
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1T olive oil
- 2lb beef stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 16 oz bag of mixed vegetables (broccoli & cauliflower)
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans & the like)
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 16oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2/3 c sweetish, darkish beer, like a double bock or nut brown ale
- salt & pepper
- 1 bag original tater tots
Preheat oven 400°f. Steam vegetables until tender. Warm frozen vegetables and drain out water.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick fryer pan, add in beef and cook until outsides are mostly browned. Leaving the meat juices in the pan, transfer meat to a stainless bowl with a slotted spoon or bamboo skimmer and cover tightly.
Add 1T of butter to the meat juice and whisk until melted. Sprinkle in 1T of flour and cook whisking constantly until it looks sludge-like. Whisk in the milk and bring almost to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and add the cheeses in one at a time, adding in only 1/2c at a time until it’s melted in. Whisk in beer and remove from heat.
Toss vegetables and meat together into 9 x 13 pan. Cover with cheese sauce and poke down meat and veggies that may be sticking up. Cover with handfuls of tater tots. Cook in preheated oven until sauce is bubbling and tots are browned, about 30 minutes.