Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Sandwiches
Yield: Makes 6 or more sandwiches.
Nothing beats the combination of crusty bread, fresh produce, and summer herbs in these tomato, basil, and mozzarella sandwiches.
- 1 small loaf French bread (or foccacia)
- 6 tablespoons basil pesto (or substitute olive oil)
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- fresh basil leaves (about 24)
Slice the French bread on the diagonal, making at least a dozen slices. (If using foccacia, split in half and slice into wedges.) Coat one side of each slice of bread with pesto or olive oil. Layer on the tomato slices, season with salt and pepper, add the mozzarella slices and fresh basil leaves, and top with a second piece of bread.