Triple Chocolate Nut Cookies
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Instructions:Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water. Smooth with a whisk and remove from heat. (Or melt the chocolate in a microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until smooth when stirred.) Cream the butter, gradually adding the sugars. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Fold in the melted chocolate. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the creamed ingredients. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the dough into 1-1/2-inch balls and place on buttered cookie sheets; leave room between them. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool briefly on sheets, then transfer to a rack and cool.