Yield: 6 servings
This cooked vegetable salad is adapted from a Russian dish. When served with a hearty soup, it makes a complete meal.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 medium beets or 1 16-ounce can beets
- 3 medium boiling potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 small dill pickles, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, white part only
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons bottled horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:Cook beets, remove skins, and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Peel potatoes and carrots and cook until each vegetable is tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes for potatoes and 10 minutes for carrots). When cool, cut into 1/2-inch dice. In a large bowl combine beets, potatoes, carrots, pickles, scallions, and dill. Toss vegetables gently, season with salt and pepper, and add hard-boiled eggs. Cover and refrigerate to chill thoroughly before serving.
For dressing: Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender, and mix until smooth. Season to taste with pepper. Pour dressing over the vegetables and chill until served.