- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (both white and green parts), roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, any combination
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 3 quarts water
Instructions:In a large stockpot over medium heat, lightly cook onion, carrots, celery, scallions, and garlic in olive oil until onions become translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their juices (about 5 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
Remove the stock from the heat, then strain the liquid through a fine strainer. Let the stock come to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. Use or freeze extra.